Ararat or אררט in Hebrew is the only biblically attested name for the Kingdom of Urartu. The name Urartu itself derives from Urar meaning Island and Tu meaning Country. It is very strange that such a highland area should be called the Island Country, but when taking the story of Noah into account it is perhaps not so strange afterall. Christian Fundamentalists tend to think of Ararat as a single mountain practically in the centre of the area which was once Urartu. Most of the historical evidence suggests that Noah's Ark was considered to have been based at Mt. Cudi. The 4th century Petrine Saint Jacob of Nisibis built monastery for Ha-Umot at Nisibis just west of Carduchi in which we find Gebel Judi (Cudi Dagi) where he is said to have found the ark's anchor-stones or petrified wood, depending upon which legend one chooses. In the 1990s, Bill Crouse, a prominent ark-researcher, wrote:
- "Cudi Dagh is located approximately 200 miles south of Mt. Ararat in southern Turkey almost within eyesight of the Syrian and Iraqi borders. The Tigris River flows at its base. The exact co-ordinates are 37 degrees, 21 minutes N., and 42 degrees, 17 minutes E., ... just east of the present Turkish city of Gizre and still within the bounds of the Biblical region of Ararat (Urartu). The Nestorians ... built several monasteries around the mountain including one on the summit called "The Cloister of the Ark". It was destroyed by lightning in 766 A.D. The Muslims later built a mosque on the site. In 1910, Gertrude Bell explored the area and found a stone structure still at the summit with the shape of a ship called by the locals "Sefinet Nebi Nuh" "The Ship of Noah". ... As late as 1949 two Turkish journalists claimed to have seen the Ark on this mountain, a ship 500 feet in length!"
- Bill Crouse in "Archaeology and Biblical Research", Noah's Ark: Its Final Berth Vol., Vol.5 No.3